When the Best Should is a Should Not

It’s Five Minute Friday time! Today’s word prompt: Should

Ready…set…go

If you’ve ever shared with a friend news about taking a vacation, and then find out she’s already been there, you know what’s coming: all the ‘shoulds’ that need to be done once you get there.Β You should shop here, eat there, play at this place, visit this site and so on.

Sometimes what we should do is a helpful thing. But other times, the times when the word itself brings the weight of the world down on our feeble shoulders, it’s quite the opposite.

I hear it more than I would like. Being a stay-at-home mom, my downtime (which is sparse, though society might disagree) can leave me feeling like I should be doing more.

I have to remind myself that it’s okay to just be; that more is accomplished on my knees praying than hurrying and worrying about my day.

“Let my soul be at rest again, for the Lord has been good to me.” Psalm 116:7

In Him alone, I find my center, my peace, my joy, my hope, my sanity, my reassurance.

With lots of love,

1. Annie

May 5, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Thank you so much for this encouragement! I can get bogged down in all of the (self-imposed) shoulds of staying home. My house should be…. My kids should be….. It’s exhausting! Thankful for a God who takes away those shoulds and gives me grace. (Visiting from FMF)

1. Mandy

May 5, 2017 at 4:08 pm

I could not agree with you more, Annie! xoxo

2. Alice Nine

May 5, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Amen, Mandy! Love it: “it’s okay to just be.” So thankful that in Him we live and move and have our being and He guides us to do, be, say the right “should”. Have a blessed weekend! Your neighbor at FMF.

1. Mandy

May 5, 2017 at 4:09 pm

You as well, Alice. Thank you for being here!

3. Lesley

May 5, 2017 at 4:00 pm

I agree, it is easy for those shoulds to become a burden. So important to fix our eyes on God and look for his approval rather than seeking it from others or through living up to our own expectations.

1. Mandy

May 5, 2017 at 7:31 pm

My thoughts exactly, Lesley. Thanks for stopping by πŸ™‚

4. Tara

May 5, 2017 at 4:29 pm

You know I hadn’t even thought about how sometimes shoulds can be welcomed. THIS: “God is for me and when I trust in this unchangeable truth, the light of this world begins to grow dim, voices are hushed, opinions of others lessened until all I see and hear and feel is the love of my Savior.” I’m visiting from FMF where I’m in the 30 spot.

1. Mandy

May 5, 2017 at 7:33 pm

Glad you liked it, Tara.

5. Carolina Hinojosa-Cisneros

May 5, 2017 at 6:22 pm

“In Him alone comes the satisfaction that all the things I think I should be doing try to offer.” <3 Amen. You such a light and inspiration, friend. So glad I stopped by. #fmf

1. Mandy

May 5, 2017 at 7:34 pm

Always happy when you visit, sweet Carolina!

6. Andrew Budek-Schmeisser

May 5, 2017 at 9:21 pm

Love this, Mandy. You have cut to the heart of the path to freedom from society’s ‘shoulds’.

#1 at FMF this week.

1. Mandy

May 5, 2017 at 9:43 pm

Thank you for the encouraging words, Andrew!

7. AndrΓ©a Lane

May 5, 2017 at 11:15 pm

Very inspiring and encouraging words Mandy! I can relate to the pressures, and have been working hard lately to make sure and keep time with Jesus at the beginning and throughout my day.

8. Christina

May 6, 2017 at 3:32 am

This: “In Him alone comes the satisfaction that all the things I think I should be doing try to offer.” I struggle with this too on a daily basis. Our downtime means more capacity for what matters.

1. Mandy

May 6, 2017 at 11:35 am

I couldn’t agree more, Christina!

9. Kate Motaung

May 18, 2017 at 1:55 pm

Beautiful post, Mandy! Love seeing your heart here.

1. Mandy

May 18, 2017 at 2:59 pm

Thank you, Kate! I’m truly thankful to have found this amazing community ❀️

10. Miccah Kent

May 26, 2017 at 1:03 pm

As a stay at home momma, I too can absolutely get caught up in the “I shoulds” during the day. Thank you for this encouragement, Mandy! xoxo

1. Mandy

May 26, 2017 at 7:52 pm

Oh, friend, it happens so easily, doesn’t it? Glad you were encouraged πŸ™‚ Love ya, Miccah!

Comments are closed.