What I Expect for Summer Break

Welcome to Five Minute Friday, a community of writers who free write for five minutes. The dashes indicate when the timer began and ended. Click on the link and join the fun!

School is out and summer is here.

Typically at this time, the house is still and quiet.

Not today.

Today, the house is alive and filled with all sorts of sounds: toys being dumped out on the floor, my shallow sigh as I step on them, a storming battle over who had what first, the stomping of feet going up and down stairs.

Welcome to summer break.

I expect a major change in my daily writing/reading routine over the next two months.

It will be tough trying to get all I want to do done, but I know God will help me.

While I may have to slow down on certain things, I am ever thankful for the two precious gifts God has given: my children.

They keep me young, make me laugh, encourage me to create, help me dream, and are simply fun to be with.

Yes, I expect some changes, but change is good. Summer is sure to be crazy, but I want to make the most of it AND keep my sanity.

Summer is sure to be crazy, but I want to make the most of it AND keep my sanity. Click To Tweet

Here are some ways I plan to stay ahead (or at least keep on track):

1.) Wake up 30 minutes before the kids. By doing so. I can have my morning quiet time with God and perhaps spare a few remaining minutes to brainstorm writing ideas.

2.) Set a 30 minute reading time for myself and the kids. A writer who reads makes a better writer. I can’t afford to not make time for it. I also want my children to keep up with their own reading. While I could read all day, my kids don’t always share in the same enthusiasm. Little incentives can help in a big way, like taking the kids out for ice cream after finishing a week of reading.

3.) Work on posts for the blog over the weekend. While my husband is home with the kids, I’ll be able to sneak away to a coffee shop and write. I typically write two posts each week. One that I share with these amazing link-ups Monday thru Thursday, and the other here at Five Minute Friday.

4.) Have fun. I can’t write about life if I’m not living it. I’m looking forward to new adventures, to breaking away from my normal routine and shaking things up a bit. Though I’ll be sure to keep pen and paper near for those inspiring moments.

Here are some helpful writing tips to stay on track during summer. Click To Tweet

What are some of your writing habits?

With Lots of love,

1. Carolina Hinojosa-Cisneros

June 9, 2017 at 3:58 pm

What a great plan. I need to have a summer plan. God bless you, friend. #fmf

1. Mandy

June 9, 2017 at 6:08 pm

You have a life-plan, friend. I don’t think I’ve ever met a more determined person than you, Carolina. Love your discipline 🙂

2. Paula Kiger (Big Green Pen)

June 9, 2017 at 3:59 pm

Aw, I love your reflection. My kids are 20 (out of the house at college) and 17 (just graduated and *hopefully* out of the house and away to college in the fall). It’s hard to avoid the “time flies” cliche but it truly does and I hope your summer has lots of blessings in it. I really agree that good readers make good writers!

1. Mandy

June 9, 2017 at 6:07 pm

So glad you are here, Paula! A blink of an eye, friend. I can’t believe my first-born is headed into middle school. I know I will be where you are in no time for it won’t be long before we are scoping out colleges. I’m glad we were neighbors today 🙂

3. Lesley

June 9, 2017 at 4:28 pm

That sounds like a great plan to make sure you have some fun with your family but also manage to fit some writing in. I think I need to make a plan- I definitely work better when I do but it’s all a bit haphazard right now!

1. Mandy

June 14, 2017 at 4:04 pm

I know what you mean, Lesley! I may not be able to follow thru every week, but I’m gonna try 🙂

4. Tara

June 9, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Great plan! God bless your summer. And may you always live life. 🙂

1. Mandy

June 9, 2017 at 6:09 pm

Thanks, Tara! Prayers are appreciated 🙂

5. blaaklistwriters

June 9, 2017 at 10:35 pm

Mandy! I love, love, love these ideas! WELL DONE on owning and nurturing your gift.

Wow, I soooo miss those crazy days of summer with the noise and kids and chaos. Some days I wish I could turn back the clock. Please do me a favour… In the middle of your busyness, please remember to take some time to just enjoy being alive with them! Such a gift!

Have a great week, my friend! Shauna (in FMF#44 today) 🙂

1. Mandy

June 10, 2017 at 1:12 am

I sure will, Shauna! Today was beautiful. We enjoyed the sunshine and blew bubbles forever. #easyliving 🙂 Glad you are here!

6. E. Adams Wright

June 10, 2017 at 3:09 am

Thanks for sharing your plan, Mandy. I can benefit from adopting some of ideas and was thankful that you included having fun. 🙂 Blessings. Visiting from FMF.

1. Mandy

June 12, 2017 at 3:03 pm

Glad to hear it, Esther. Having FUN is key!

7. Somer

June 10, 2017 at 2:02 pm

Great tips here!
    I think you are so right about keeping up with your reading.
    I’m trying to figure out my reading plan for my kids. I know they need to keep up with it.
    Trying to figure out ways to make their reading more fun. Like an adventure!
    I think summer is a good time to read a loud books to kids. Like a spine tingling mystery on a rainy day? Makes it pass quickly!
    Summer is only two weeks in and I’m admittedly tired with my older kids here all the time. But like you said you must continue to live life and they hand us so many opportunities to get out and experience summer 🙂

1. Mandy

June 12, 2017 at 3:12 pm

Somer, I couldn’t agree more! I love reading out loud with my kids. I’m an epic fantasy nerd, so my son and I go on some grand adventures and the best part is that we do it together. Glad we can encourage one another. Press on, friend!

8. Jeanne Takenaka

June 10, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Great tips, Mandy! I have to kick my boys outside each day. Otherwise, all they’d DO is read. 🙂 I’m so thankful that they both love reading. I give them about 30 minutes of free reading. After that, they have to earn it by playing outside actively. Not just sitting on the deck till their time is up. 😉 I like that you give yourself time to read. What a great idea!

I try to get my blog posts up the weekend before too. 🙂 Have a wonderful weekend!

1. Mandy

June 12, 2017 at 3:18 pm

That is a wonderful problem to have, Jeanne 🙂

9. Stephanie

June 11, 2017 at 3:20 am

Great ideas Mandy! My kids are older but I still find myself flustered as to how to organize my time in the summer. They are still around and I feel guilty taking time away. The school year is easier because of schedules that set a rhythm. Thank you for sharing your wise choices.

1. Mandy

June 14, 2017 at 4:03 pm

Sorry for the late reply, Stephanie. I’m so glad you liked them. I know what you mean. The guilt of not focusing on our children can be overwhelming. I have to remind myself that some alone time is good…for all of us…lol 🙂

10. Andrew Budek-Schmeisser

June 11, 2017 at 5:50 am

Sounds like you have both a good attitude and a good action plan, Mandy. Bravo!

1. Mandy

June 12, 2017 at 3:01 pm

Thank you, Andrew! Gonna try to stick with it 😉

11. jodaley

June 11, 2017 at 11:54 pm

Enjoy your summer and your children at home. That last one is so true…we can’t write about life without living it. Visiting from FMF today. Have a great week!

1. Mandy