More than Enough: A Three Week Series on the Life of Gideon

Have you ever felt lead to do something you were unequipped to handle?

I know I have, and to prove I’m not the right person, I’ll start looking to others in comparison.

But then I’m reminded that the Bible is full of ordinary people who did extraordinary things with God’s help.

Take Gideon for example. Here was this everyday guy, minding his own business, when the Angel of the Lord sought him out.

The Angel of the Lord came, and He sat under the oak that was in Ophrah, which belonged to Joash, the Abiezrite. His son Gideon was threshing wheat in the wine vat in order to hide it from the Midianites. Judges 6:11

Now, when the time came to choose who would deliver the Israelites out from under the oppression of the Midianites, one might think God would have selected a skilled fighter; not a farmer who was hiding while threshing wheat.

God didn’t make a mistake in His selection. The Angel wasn’t rushing around in the hope of finding any person up for the task. The text says he sat under a tree; He was resting in the shade, watching and observing. When He’d seen enough, the Angel approached Gideon and addressed him as a “mighty warrior.”

Though the title might have seemed unfit at the time, God knew His plans for Gideon and called Him accordingly.

As Christians, we are called sons and daughters by God. By believing this, we are free to live a life worthy of that name. Gideon was a called a warrior and a warrior he became. Today, know that you are a child of God, walk in that knowledge with gladness and confidence.

The Angel then said this:

The Lord turned to him and said, “Go in the strength you have and deliver Israel from the power of Midian. Am I not sending you?” Judges 6:14

You are enough. Do you know that?

There’s no need to try and be anyone else because God designed you uniquely to do things only you can do. Go in the strength you have. In other words, just be you, God will help you in whatever He has called you to.

“But Lord,” Gideon replied, “how can I rescue Israel?” Judges 6:15

But Gideon (like me) still has doubts and tells the Lord that his family is one of the weakest in the community and that he is the youngest in his family.

How quick we are to point out our mishaps out of fear or doubt or disbelief.

With one breath, the Lord tells Gideon everything he needs to hear:

The Lord said to him, “I will be with you.” Judges 6:16

Do you need to hear that sweet whisper today, friend?

The Lord said to him, 'I will be with you.' Judges 6:16 Click To Tweet

Make no mistake about it—God is with you, and He is for you.

Today’s post is the first part of a 3-week series on Gideon. Be sure to come back next week for part two.

With lots of love,

I’m sharing with these lovely link-ups: God-sized Dreams, RaRaLinkup, Porch Stories, Coffee for Your Heart, Heart Encouragement, Tune in Thursday

1. Diana

June 20, 2017 at 1:06 pm

God never makes a mistakes in His selection. I absolutely loved this truth and wanna shout AMEN . Mighty warriors for His kingdom.

Your neighbor from God sized dream

Diana (http://dianasdiaries.com)

June 20, 2017 at 5:35 pm

Nice to see you here, Diana! I will shout out with you, friend 🙂

2. welcomeheart

June 21, 2017 at 3:20 pm

bottom line is what you said: we believe who God says we are. Empowered by our identity and His Spirit. the trouble is, we forget. A lot. Thanks, Mandy, I get discouraged until I stop forgetting.

June 21, 2017 at 11:00 pm

“Empowered by our identity” love this! Thanks for visiting. xoxo.

3. Paris Renae

June 21, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Oh so good to remember His Words – I will be with you – doing the dishes or in the confrontation, in the easy times and in the storms. 🙂

June 21, 2017 at 11:02 pm

You are exactly right, Paris! He is with us in everything. Happy to see you here!

4. martikadiaz

June 22, 2017 at 12:22 am

Hi Mandy!

I’m in this position almost every day. lol There are days I feel like I can’t do it and I start to think on how I can do it and in the end I throw my hands in the air and say “God, it’s in Your hands”. Truly, at the end of the day it is in His hands because when I look back to see what I’ve done, I always thank Him and tell Him “Lord, I wouldn’t have been to able to do it without you”. I’m looking forward to reading part 2!

Thanks for sharing! I will be sharing this on Pinterest and Facebook. It was definitely a great read.

Blessings,

Martika Diaz

June 22, 2017 at 11:03 am

Martika, me too!! Thankful for our relentless God who remains with us, strengthening us in everything we do. So happy to connect with you 🙂

5. Stefani

June 22, 2017 at 4:04 am

What an amazing and powerful truth you are sharing! We are who God calls us, not who we see ourselves as. Thanks for this!

June 22, 2017 at 11:04 am

Amen, Stefani! I’m so glad you are here! xoxo.

6. Nicole Kauffman

June 22, 2017 at 11:14 am

I love this encouragement. I often struggle with feeling like I’m “not enough” but God has called me as His child. And that is so amazing! Thanks for sharing!

June 23, 2017 at 12:36 am

So glad you left feeling encouraged, Nicole! Thanks for visiting. xoxo.

7. Sarah Geringer (@SarahGeringer)

June 22, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Love this: There’s no need to try and be anyone else because God designed you uniquely to do things only you can do. Great post! Blessings on your new series.

June 23, 2017 at 12:36 am

Thank you, Sarah!

8. hopeful50

June 22, 2017 at 12:50 pm

Mandy, thank you for the encouragement this morning. Facing some serious adult children problems…xo

June 23, 2017 at 12:38 am

I’m so sorry to hear that, Susan. Praying for you and your family, sweet friend! <3 <3

9. CrystalStorms.me

June 22, 2017 at 3:07 pm

I love this encouragement, Mandy, to “just be you” and that is enough because God is more than enough!
    ((Hugs))

June 23, 2017 at 12:40 am

Amen, Crystal!! Thank you for being here. xoxo.

10. Horace Williams Jr

June 22, 2017 at 5:26 pm

It was sooo great to “meet” you toady Mandy. Thank you for visiting my site. I am not a speaker but I am glad my heart comes through in my writing. God may have speaking in my future…who knows. I absolutely love the story of Gideon. You hit the nail on the head. God can us anyone to achieve His purpose. God designed us uniquely to do His will. He will empower us along the way. Thank you again for sharing these words of encouragement. I hope you have a fantastic weekend and may God continue to bless you and yours.

June 23, 2017 at 12:46 am

Thanks for visiting, Horace! There is a lot going on in Gideon’s story…some great truth about God and His character. I’m happy to meet a fellow fan. I look forward to reading more from you along with the possibility of hearing from you should God put speaking on your heart. Have a wonderful weekend!!

11. Erin @ burdenfreecaregiving.com

June 22, 2017 at 6:47 pm

Those are precious words! To hear our Father say that He will be with us is enough to fuel us. May we all take courage and do what He has purposesd us to do. The rest of your series will be exciting, Mandy.

June 23, 2017 at 12:49 am

I hope so!! I love digging deep into God’s word, finding all sorts of nuggets of truth. Thank you so much for visiting! I hope you visit again next week for part two.

12. Lisa notes...

June 22, 2017 at 8:49 pm

I love this story of Gideon. I need reminders that we don’t have to be the strongest, best, and the one with the most. God can use any of us and all of us because HE is the strongest, best, and the one with the most. Thanks for sharing this so beautifully, Mandy.

June 23, 2017 at 12:58 am

He sure is! I’m so glad you stopped by, Lisa!

13. Kelly Blackwell

August 8, 2017 at 1:31 pm

I came over here after reading a post of yours at FMF. I just heard a little vignette on Gideon and just HAD to read on! Loved your post. I can’t read more today, but I will fully be back. 🙂

August 8, 2017 at 3:12 pm

Hey, Kelly!! So glad you dropped in! Im so happy you enjoyed reading. I love Gideon’s story. So much of God’s character is revealed throughout. I’m hoping to continue the series by the end of the month. Would love to see you back 😊😊

Comments are closed.